Wearing over time, heating systems have many moving parts. No matter if the heating system fails due to normal wear or neglected maintenance, being without it can be a challenge in New York, especially in the dead of winter. With the demand, despite immediately contacting a professional, there can be up to a 48-hour wait. With this in mind, we at Agape Air Conditioning, Heating and Plumbing would like to discuss a few options to keep warm while you wait for repairs.
How to Stay Warm when Waiting for Furnace or Boiler Heating Repair
1) Use the Sun to Help Heat Your Home. Use the sun to help keep your space warm while you wait out heating system repairs. During the daylight hours, let as much sunlight into your home as possible. Allow the sun to saturate your home by opening the blinds and curtains.
2) Retain the Heat. During the fall and winter, nights can be unforgivingly cold, especially in New York. An extremely useful help keep the heat you collected during the day inside with you during the night. Once the sun goes down, close the blinds and curtains. Even with heat operating, proper insulation can really help you withhold the heat.
3) Change Ceiling Fan Direction for Winter. Frequently featured on many ceiling fans, a setting designed for the winter months. Ceiling fans’ blades will go in the reverse direction while in winter mode. In this mode warm air that is rising upward to the ceiling is pushed back down into your rooms and circulating throughout the various rooms.
4) Stop or Reduce Stack Effect in House. The cold air comes rushing in to replace the warm air as a stack effect is when the warm air rises and ultimately escapes. Most likely to have this issue, generally are the tall or multi-story homes. Under your doors or your windows with weather stripping to combat the stack effect as well as other gaps should be sealed up so that the cold air doesn’t get pulled in. Your ultimate goal is to trap the warm air in while blocking the cold air out
5) Consider Space Heaters. Space heaters or portable heaters are a fairly inexpensive solution, potentially heating up a decent sized room depending on the heater. The result of poorly used heaters, however, can be a safety precaution in many homes and result in severe damage as well as fatalities. The heater should be constantly monitored while in use due to flammable material should be kept away from the heaters. Space heaters are designed to warm a single room and are more efficient that way by keeping the door closed for the rooms. Keep the door closed and never leave the space heaters on unattended.
Furnace & Boiler Heating Inspection, Troubleshooting, Repair Services & More in Bedford Hills, Manhattan, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & The Bronx, New York
If you are experiencing heating troubles, be sure to dress warm and call at Agape Air Conditioning, Heating and Plumbing. We are efficient in getting the repairs done with quality and in a timely manner. When your heating system is not operating to its full potential, you need our expertise as soon as possible. Contact us today!