With us firmly into summer, most of us have relied on our air conditioner systems in New York to combat the heat and humidity. Like many homeowners, the seemingly minor problems that developed late last season are likely making themselves known now if you did not proactively seek early spring cooling system maintenance system services from a professional. Now any short term solutions may cause frustration during the summer. When you first notice an issue, the best thing to do is call in a pro for minor repairs to keep the expense minimal and to avoid serious breakdowns. Short cycling is part of the basics of the air conditioner and today, we at Agape Air Conditioning, Heating, & Plumbing would like to take the opportunity to elaborate on it.
AC Cycles On & Off Every 10 Minutes?
When your air conditioner flips on, runs for a short spurt of time, switches off, and then starts the whole process over again shortly after is the phenomenon known as short cycling. Unfortunately, short cycling is often a problem few may even register as a problem, or worse, simply notice and brush it off as no big deal. Short cycling is actually an indication of a deep and serious problem that should get the attention of a licensed professional. Not only is short cycling rough on the air conditioner unit, but it also manifests on the utility bill. Short cycling costs homeowners their hard money among other issues.
Common Causes of AC Short Cycling
When your air conditioner is short cycling, typically it is one of the reasons listed below.
1) Evaporator coils are frozen.
2) You have dirty and/or clogged air filters.
3) The air conditioner is oversized and ill-fitted to your home’s square footage.
4) The refrigerant is low in your A/C unit.
5) The air conditioner’s electrical system is faulty.
How to Fix Short Cycling Air Conditioner
Identifying short cycling can help you make a few adjustments before alerting a professional, take the following steps to rectify the short cycling your air conditioner is experiencing.
1) Change or clean the air filter according to manufacturer. It is a common trend among homeowners, that the air filters are overlooked. Depending on the surrounding circumstances, homeowners will need to change the air filter every 4-12 weeks. To find the right span in between replacements, check them in 4 weeks after a fresh one is installed. If air can still pass, check every week thereafter until you find the filter is clogged and needs attention. Typically, those with pets, smokers, dusty/windy climates, and those with allergies and asthma need to replace the air filter sooner rather than later. Additionally, be sure to maintain the filters accordingly, most are disposable and simply need to be changed where others can be cleaned and reused. If your air conditioner is short cycling, check the filters first to ensure they were not neglected.
2) Contact a licensed air conditioner contractor. If the coils have become frozen, immediately turn off your air conditioner from the thermostat, and call a professional. The other issues including low refrigerant and a faulty electrical system, as well as an oversized unit all need the expertise of a professional. When looking for the underlying reasons to short cycling, the professional will test and evaluate the system to find the determining causes. Once found, the technician will offer you the proper solutions and make the repairs, or possible replacements, to get your air conditioner working more efficiently.
Central Air Conditioning Repair, Maintenance & More in Bedford Hills, Manhattan, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & The Bronx, New York
If you are experiencing and air conditioner that is short cycling, or simply not performing to its full potential, call in the certified technicians of Agape Air Conditioning, Heating, & Plumbing and let us do the rest!