To combat the heat and humidity, most of us have relied on our air conditioner systems in New York now that we are in summer. If you did not proactively seek early spring cooling system maintenance system services from a professional, the seemingly minor problems that developed late last season are likely making themselves known now. When even small issues manifest, it is best to get them addressed before the minor issues evolve into major concerns. Today, we at Agape Air Conditioning, Heating, & Plumbing would like to take the opportunity to elaborate on short cycle.
AC Cycles On & Off Every 10 Minutes
The phenomenon known as short cycling is when your air conditioner flips on, runs for a short spurt of time, switches off, and then starts the whole process over again shortly after. Few may even register as a problem since short cycling is often an issue that is brushed off as no big deal. However, a deep and serious problem is indicated with short cycling and it needs the attention of a licensed professional. Frequently making itself known on the utility bill, short cycling is rough on the air conditioner unit. Among other situations, short cycling costs homeowners their hard money.
Causes of AC Short Cycling
Generally AC short cycling is one of the reasons listed below when your air conditioner is short cycling.
1) Your A/C unit has low refrigerant.
2) Fault in the air conditioner’s electrical system.
3) Frozen evaporator coils.
4) Air filters are filthy and/or clogged air.
5) Being ill-fitted to your home’s square footage, the air conditioner is oversized.
How to Repair Air Conditioner Short Cycling
Before alerting a professional, take the following steps to rectify the short cycling your air conditioner is experiencing if you identify short cycling can help you make a few adjustments.
1) According to manufacturer, change or clean the air filter. Air filters are commonly overlooked by homeowners. Homeowners will need to change the air filter every 4-12 weeks, depending on the surrounding circumstances. Check them in 4 weeks after a fresh one is installed to find the right span in between replacements. Inspect every week thereafter until you find the filter is clogged and needs attention if air can still pass. The air filter needs to be replaced sooner rather than later especially with those with pets, smokers, dusty/windy climates, and those with allergies and asthma. Most are disposable and simply need to be changed where others can be cleaned and reused, be sure to maintain the filters accordingly as well. Inspect the filters first to ensure they were not neglected, if your air conditioner is short cycling.
2) Call a licensed AC contractor. Call a professional if the coils have become frozen, immediately turn off your air conditioner from the thermostat. You need the expertise of a professional if the coils have become frozen, immediately turn off your air conditioner from the thermostat as well if there are other issues such as low refrigerant and a faulty electrical system. The professional will test and evaluate the system to find the determining causes when looking for the underlying reasons to short cycling. To get your air conditioner working more efficiently, the technician will offer you the proper solutions and make the repairs, or possible replacements, once found.
Central AC Inspection, Tune Up, Repair, Replacement & More in Bedford Hills, Manhattan, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & The Bronx, New York
Call in the certified technicians of Agape Air Conditioning, Heating, & Plumbing and let us do the rest if you are experiencing and air conditioner that is short cycling, or simply not performing to its full potential!