What is a Good Furnace AFUE Efficiency Calculation Rating in Cambria Heights, NY?

The ratings that come with heating and cooling systems can leave you confused when it comes to purchasing a new one. If you don’t know what these ratings mean, it may cost you money- so please make sure that doesn’t happen.

HVAC Ratings

Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). This rating assesses the cooling efficiency of your equipment at various temperatures.
Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF). This rating measures the heating efficiency of heat pumps. It is like the SEER rating for winter given that it measures only heating efficiency- just like other ratings, higher numbers indicate energy efficiency
Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). This rating measures the energy efficiency of a gas furnace and is like MPG (miles per gallon) for your car. AFUE ratings are expressed in percentages, like 90% AFUE. This percentage will let you know just how much of the fuel you’re paying for that is actually converted into heat. So, if a furnace has a 90% AFUE, it means that 90 % of the gas it uses is converted to heat. The other 10% is wasted as it escapes during the heating process, and of course is a waste of money.

Cost of Low AFUE Furnace Rating

Speaking of money, if the furnace in your home has as AFUE of 60%, it means that for every $100 you pay in gas for your furnace, only $60 is used while the other $40 is wasted. This can really add up! When you look at newer furnaces, you can be sure that all of them have at least an 80% AFUE or higher. Take that same 60% AFUE rated furnace upgraded to an 80% AFUE rated furnace and you’ll be using $80 worth of gas for every $100. It makes sense to upgrade an older furnace.

Furnace Efficiency

AFUE ratings measure the energy efficiency of your furnace within a controlled environment. To reduce heating costs in your home there are other factors that will need to be considered. When you upgrade your furnace, you will have to consider the installation because the most energy efficient furnace will be useless if it’s installed poorly. You will also need to consider duct repairs. The air ducts are what moves heat from the furnace through your home. If they are leaking or not designed right, it will affect the energy efficiency of your furnace. Lastly, you’ll need to consider the size of the furnace. When it comes to furnaces, bigger is not necessarily better. The best way to maximize the energy efficiency and the comfort in your home is to have the right sized furnace. You should consult with professionals when you’re ready to purchase a new furnace.

Furnace Heating Inspections, Repair, Replacement & More in Bedford Hills, Manhattan, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & The Bronx, New York

The AFUE of the furnace in your home is important in the efficiency or your home, but the other parts of the system also need to be looked at. A system is only efficient if all the parts are working together correctly. If you have any questions about the furnace in your home, contact Agape Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing to speak with one of our professionals.

Call Now Button