It is that time of year when the furnaces might be turned on here and there before they are utilized continuously during the cold New York winter. Being without heat inside when there are frigid temperatures outside is more than uncomfortable. Furnaces are only designed to last through a certain time frame. Proper care, maintenance, professional services, and quality of the unit can dictate how long the unit lasts. If you can detect the signs your furnace is near the end of its life, you can better prepare yourself for a replacement unit. With that in mind, we at Agape Air Conditioning, Heating, and Plumbing would like to point out the warning signs your furnace is in need of replacing.
Warning Signs Your Furnace Needs Repair or Replacement
1) Unusually high energy bill. Abnormally high energy bills can be an indication of a plethora various problem, but one of the common culprits is a furnace straining to function. As the furnaces experiences natural wear, the components are putting forth additional effort and furnace requires additional energy to operate.
2) Needing to adjust thermostat settings constantly. Your furnace is not distributing heat if you have to constantly adjust the thermostat to regulate the temperature in the home. There could be simple fixes contributing to this issue, but this warning sign can point to deep issues.
3) Furnace is 15 years or older. The average life of a furnace is around 18 years, statistically speaking. Older furnaces are going to fail sooner than later, naturally, if your furnace is around 15 years or older, start shopping around. Opt for an Energy Star rated furnace for 15% more energy efficiency. Finding the right furnace with energy efficiency will save you costs on monthly bills.
4) Furnace required frequent repairs the last two years. When furnaces are nearly spent, whether it is due to age, quality, or poor maintenance, they will continually breakdown and require frequent repairs. In some instances, a professional can assess sooner than later that the furnace is done for and the money spent on band-aid repairs is better invested in a replacement furnace.
5) Abnormal noises coming from the furnace. Popping, groaning, rattling, or banging sounds that are unusually produced when the furnace brings on foreign noises suggests the furnace’s components are no longer functional. In addition to the loud noises, in the event the blower turns off and on frequently, blowing cool air into your home, the likelihood is high the furnace is done.
6) Burner flame is blue instead of yellow. Your furnace could be producing carbon monoxide if the burner flame is yellow instead of blue. A potentially fatal toxic gas, is carbon monoxide; an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas. If you have a chimney, carbon monoxide might be detectable if you see streaks of soot around the furnace, absence upward draft in chimney. Other indicators include; excessive moisture building up on your walls, windows and cold surfaces as well as rusted flue pipes or other piping. If the evidence suggests carbon monoxide, ensure the gas is turned off, family members and pets are taken outside and you call for professional assistance.
Furnace & Boiler Repairs, Inspections & More in Manhattan, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & The Bronx, New York
If your furnace is in need of replacing, contact Agape Air Conditioning, Heating, and Plumbing and let our experts get your newly updated furnace installed quickly and efficiently.