Plumbing emergencies can hit quickly or slowly build up over time. It doesn’t matter how they happen, they can cost thousands of dollars to repair. Dealing with plumbing emergencies is just what professional plumbers are trained and qualified to do. Agape Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing outline the plumbing emergencies our valued customers call us to fix the most!
Common Plumbing Problems
1. Clogged sink. If the clog isn’t a major one, it can usually be taken care of with a plunger or a hand-cranked drain snake. Clogs that can’t be taken care of with these tools will require a professional plumber. Even though drain cleaners can be purchased, they really shouldn’t be used. The chemicals in these cleaners can damage the drainpipes and won’t completely remove whatever clogged the drain in the first place.
2. No hot water. The water heater in a home is essential part of the plumbing system. We rely on it every day. Your day and possibly week can be ruined when you don’t have any hot water. Call a plumber as soon as you discover you don’t have any hot water. Not only does a leaky water heater waste money, it can damage your home.
3. Overflowing toilet. An overflowing toilet will send you into a panic. You feel out of control as you watch it overflow onto your floor. If that isn’t bad enough, you may have to deal with water damage. You can stop the overflow by turning the valve on the feed line. If you have an older toilet you may have to take the lid of and pull the chain attached to the flapper up to stop the flow of water.
4. Blocked bathtub / shower drain. The last think you want halfway through a shower if to have the water start rising above your ankles. It’s likely clogged with the most common cause being a buildup of hair or soap scum. Plumbers have the tools to completely clear the clog.
5. Major pipe leak. Frozen pipes can cause them to burst, but they can also burst for other reasons. Older pipes made of steel or iron can corrode over time and start to leak. Call a plumber immediately if you notice drops of water on the walls or ceilings so they can figure out exactly where the leak is located and fix it before a major disaster.
6. Leaky washing machine. Leaky washing machines aren’t much fun. If you notice water leaking from underneath the washing machine you may have a hose that has started to leak. Call a plumber to come fix it before you have any water damage or possible mold and mildew.
7. Blocked sewer line. The cause of a blocked or damaged sewer line is almost always from tree roots. Tree roots will grow towards sewer lines because of the temperature and nutrients. The roots can enter the line and the pressure can cause it to crack. Constant clogs in your home can be an indication that your sewer line is blocked and needs immediate repair.