It’s hot out and we depend on our air conditioner to keep us comfortable. It may not be the air conditioners fault either. If you don’t maintain your unit it can start costing more money to use it and it may perform poorly. If it starts acting up there are some possible causes.
Common Problems with Air Conditioners
1. Are the air filters dirty? When the air filters are dirty or clogged, air flow is restricted and the unit needs to work harder to push the air through them and the air cannot be cooled effectively. Make sure you keep an eye on the air filters and change them regularly. This should be done at least once a month, more so when the unit is working more or you have pets.
2. Are the registers dirty or blocked? The registers should be vacuumed regularly to remove dust that builds up overtime. Furniture and other items shouldn’t block them either, otherwise it can block the airflow.
3. Is the TV too close to thermostat? TVs and lamps shouldn’t be placed close to the thermostat that controls the central air and it shouldn’t be close to windows either. The thermostat senses heat if these appliances and can cause the air conditioner to work for longer than it needs to.
4. Is the thermostat set correctly? Programmable thermostats are great because you can set the temperature to run a little higher when you aren’t home. This can save money because every degree you raise the temperature can save you 3 percent on your cooling costs.
5. Is warm air leaking in? You should check the seals around your windows to make sure the warm air isn’t getting in or cooled air isn’t getting out. If you find gaps, you’ll need to reseal with pieces of weather-stripping.
6. Is it too sunny inside? When it’s hot outside you should keep the drapes closed all day. If you have an AC unit that is in a room with a sunny window it will have to work harder to keep the room cool and thermostats in sunny spots will also lead to wrong temperatures being registered.
7. Is the compressor being crowded? Compressors for central air needs to have adequate air flow to work the right way. Make sure it has space around it of at least 2 to 3 feet and 5 feet of clearance between the top of the unit and any obstruction above.
8. When did you have your AC inspected last? Serious issues can be taken care of before they get too big if you do regular inspections. This can prevent a major breakdown on the hottest day of the year. All the moving parts and refrigerant will be looked and the system will be recharged if necessary.
Air Conditioning Services in Manhattan, Flushing, Queens, Brooklyn & The Bronx, New York
If your air conditioner breaks down and the unit is beyond repair, you will need a new one. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new air conditioning unit. You can contact Agape Air Conditioning, Heating & Plumbing for information. They can help you determine the unit the will be best for your home and one that will fit your budget. Give us a call today!